Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Leap of faith

I knit a hat over the weekend. It was my first project in Noro Kureyon, and my first entrelac project. The whole wooly thing is now in the washer.

This is always a leap of faith. I've got to trust that I knit the thing right, and that the washing machine felting process won't go awry. I've successfully felted a few things before, but I was always meticulously following a pattern. I went a little off-road on this once, taking an entrelac hat pattern meant for bulky yarn and knitting it on double-stranded kureyon, in a loose gauge and larger size, with the hope of felting it down to fit my head.

It took a while for the shrinking to begin, but it looks like the thing is on its way. I'm really glad I took out the cast-on edge tonight, though, and did a really loose bind-off instead. That particular part still looks like it might be a bit tight. I'm hoping that the entrelac texture will cause the rest of the thing to felt up vertically and not horizontally.

Here's hoping.

No comments: