Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mmmmm. Pumpkin!

We carved pumpkins Tuesday night, and I roasted the seeds. Not as good as last year... but I forgot to mark the recipe I used. That's one big down side of Internet recipe-hunts, I've found. I can rarely re-find the ones I use.

This morning, I made whole wheat pumpkin scones, based on the recipe at A Dash of Sass. I used a food processor, instead of making them by hand, and substituted milk and Splenda for the cream and sugar. I was also lazy, and did not use nuts or fancy up the tops. Some mornings, it's quick gratification.

The adjustments I made turned this recipe into a diet-friendly scone -- something I really need to do more.

Whole wheat pumpkin scones (based on A Dash of Sass recipe)

2 c. whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/3 c. Splenda
1 T. cinnamon
1/2 t. grated nutmeg
1/2 . ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cloves
1 egg
1/2 T. vanilla
1/2 c. pumpkin
1 T. milk
1/2 c. butter, cubed and chilled

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix pumpkin, milk, vanilla and egg in a bowl, put in refrigerator.

Pulse dry ingredients in food processor to mix.

Add butter, and pulse until it looks like clumpy, wet sand. (about 10 one-second pulses -- be careful not to overpulse)

Add wet ingredients, pulse just until dough comes together.

Turn dough out onto counter or other surface. Roll out to 1 to 1 1/2 inch thickness and cut into triangles. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake 15-17 minutes.




These are darn good scones. Though, when I make them again, I would up the spices and add a tablespoon of real maple syrup to give it a bit more flavor. There wasn't quite enough zing for my taste. But they were delicious with butter and coffee!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Nom nom nom nom nom. :D

DawnK said...

They look yummy!