Sunday, October 11, 2009

The importance of yarn choice

When I decided I was going to make the Owl Baby Vest for Henry, I thought about what yarn to use. I knew I wasn't going to use the DK in the pattern, because I needed to make it bigger but didn't feel like doing a whole bunch of math.

He's a toddler, and I figured superwash would probably be best. But I didn't have any superwash in the stash. And I had no yarn money.

I did, however, have a TON of Cascade 220.

Despite its non-superwash status, I cast on. I'm making great progress on the vest, but I didn't get it done in time to put Henry in it for a family wedding yesterday afternoon.  The armhole ribbing wasn't done yet.

And, it's a good thing.

Henry puked all over, almost as soon as we sat down for the ceremony. I was covered in it, he was covered in it, and if he'd been wearing the Owl Baby Vest, the vest would have been covered in it. It would probably have been the first and only time he would have worn it. Not exactly sure how I would have gotten the baby puke out of the hand-wash-only wool vest.

Lovely.

I'm going to be adding some superwash to the stash.

No comments: