Saturday, January 02, 2010

New Year, new resolutions

I don't really care for resolutions, in that I tend to pick something I struggle with, then feel bad when I fail. This year, instead of making resolutions that would change a bad habit, I'm making resolutions that will bring creative energy out to the world. Here they are:

Write more: I will set aside time each week to write. This won't be writing for the newspaper, but writing for me. It may be about knitting, cooking, crafting, life... who knows. I will give myself permission, and make the time to do it.

Knit a sweater: This is a repeat. Four years ago (really? how did that happen?) I bought fabulous red yarn while on a trip to Ireland. It was our last day there, and I hadn't been able to find knitting wool anywhere. The only yarn shop we saw was closed the day we went through town. Finally, in a little store near Doolin, I came across some yarn. Two colors -- red or black -- sold by the kilo. I'm not sure where I found room for 2.2 pounds of red yarn in our luggage, but it came back across the Atlantic with me. I searched for a pattern, and finally found it -- Owls, by Kate Davies. I'm going to start swatching as soon as I get through a few quick projects. I think it will be a quick knit, and can't wait to do it.


Make a maud: Inspired again by Kate Davies, I'd love to make a maud. It's a delightful warm wrap, that looks incredibly cozy and stylish.

Make Henry's quilt: I saved parts of Henry's baby clothes to make a crazy quilt. I think it's time to start the sewing. I'll make the maud the warm-up to the quilting, I think. But first, I've got to take the machine in for a tune-up. It's been too long, my friend.

Wish me luck. I wish you joy.

No comments: